quickstep-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Quickstep (incubating) on-boarding
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:19:27 GMT
(Moving the other recipients to bcc. If you want to stay in the conversation, join the dev
list!!!)

Answers inline.

> On Apr 17, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Zuyu Zhang <zzhang@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
>   - Could you please point out the basic workflow of how to contribute
>   Apache incubating projects for us? Does a merged PR in Github mirror
>   automatically sync with git://git.apache.org/incubator-quickstep.git? <git://git.apache.org/incubator-quickstep.git?>

No, the github mirror is read only. That also means that you cannot use github to commit PRs.

This may seem onerous, but Apache requires that commits go to its infrastructure so that it
can track the source of the IP precisely. Apache is very fastidious about IP hygiene, and
that is a good thing.

>   - Do we the committers need the write permission to the Github mirror (
>   https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep)? I am already in the
>   Apache committers team, but was wondering if we need a team dedicate to
>   Quickstep.

The github mirror is read only. (Except if you are an Apache admin, which none of us need
to be.)

Committers have write access to https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git
<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git>. That is what they
commit to. A few minutes later, the change should appear in the Apache mirror. Non-committers
tend to use happily use the Apache mirror, and make pull requests on it.

Here’s how I would set up a quickstep environment:

$ git clone  https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git quickstep
Cloning into 'quickstep'...
remote: Counting objects: 8368, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (8368/8368), 5.84 MiB | 2.76 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (6255/6255), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
$ cd quickstep
$ git remote add mirror https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep.git
$ git remote -v
mirror	https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep.git (fetch)
mirror	https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep.git (push)
origin	https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git (fetch)
origin	https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git (push)
$ git pull --rebase
Current branch master is up to date.

One surprising, and yes, a bit irritating, wrinkle of pull requests is that you as a committer
can’t close them. (Remember, only Apache admins have access to https://github.com/apache
<https://github.com/apache>.) But there is a workaround. When you commit pull request
#17, put the line

  Close apache/incubator-quickstep#17

in the commit message. An apache hook will notice this line and go ahead and close the pull
request.

>   - Does the Github mirror support any CI test, e.g., Travis?

Several projects use Travis, and several more use Jenkins. Apache has its own Jenkins instance.
I don’t know the details, but a couple of google searches should turn up projects that are
using these.

Julian