From Jim Gallacher <jgallac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] does mod_python want to be a TLP
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:56:54 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> Hi Roy,
>>
>> +1 approve requesting a mod_python TLP
>>
>> +2 to the alterative: approve requesting a python TLP
>
> I think that would be fine, except you will have to come up with a
> name that is not "Apache Python Project".  That is essentially a
> trademark infringement and I know the Perl community doesn't like
> the way we named Perl-Apache either.  Java became Jakarta for the
> same reason.

I wondered about the trademark issue.

How is it handled within the ASF if we coin a new name? Do we just come
up with a name and hope for the best or does the foundation need to
trademark it? For example I see that "Tomcat" and "Apache Tomcat" are
trademarked, but I don't see anything for Jakarta.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jim