From S├ębastien Arnaud <arnau...@emedialibrary.org>
Subject Re: Regex based publisher proposal
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:52:16 GMT
Hi Dan,

I use the Queue class to perform DB pooling, and use 3 different
types of templating system in various mod_python applications. So
yes, mod_python makes all those customization very easy and it is why
I love it as well. The only downside I have found is that after
developing several applications, maintaining all those custom
handlers can be daunting, and I just wished that some of this basic
additional "plumbing" was avail to some extent in mod_python.

There are also some clear disadvantages of having all mod_python user
to write their "own" handler, it is not always that trivial to write
a robust basic framework that is secure, and thread safe. It also
seems like an awful waste of time and duplication of efforts, even if
the learning experience opportunity is great.

Finally, in my current work environment where I advocated the use of
mod_python, I have found myself in a position where bringing in new
fresh developers can be a little bit painful, when you have to
basically start supporting your own custom framework, write
documentation on its behavior, etc... Anyway, that's partly where my
motivation came from and hope that others will support the idea.

Thanks,

S├ębastien

P.S. I will try WingIDE, I believe I tried it out a while back, but
under OS X the interface via X11 did not feel quite right and was
pretty slow if I remember correctly. I'll give it another chance
though ;)