From Graham Dumpleton <grah...@dscpl.com.au>
Subject Re: Proposal for adding html formatted tracebacks
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 23:52:22 GMT

On 28/08/2006, at 8:40 AM, Dan Eloff wrote:

> On 8/27/06, Graham Dumpleton <grahamd@dscpl.com.au> wrote:
>> Hmmm, I didn't think you were wanting to go to that level of
>> customisation.
>
> I've only mocked up the idea, it would probably be between 5-8 hours
> work to finish it as described.
>
>> If you do, I would suggest that we add a new directive to
>> mod_python called
>> something like PythonExceptionHandler. The idea being that details
>> of any
>> exception be supplied to your user supplied handler and everything
>> is left up
>> to you as to how you render the page. I suggest this as I'm not
>> real keen on
>> an approach whereby it depends on you having a special
>> exception.html file
>> somewhere as that approach may not work in a lot of situations. By
>> using a
>> handler, you can still use the approach you suggest, but that is
>> up to you
>> and it wouldn't be dictating a specific way of doing things on people
>> that may not work for everyone.
>>

> That is an excellent idea. I should have thought of it, except as
> usual I get in a rut of trying to solve a problem one way without
> first stopping and looking at the other solutions. However, it means
> you will have to go to a lot of trouble to get something like I
> described above, which while not working for everyone, would be nice
> for most people. So how about a compromise. Use the
> PythonExceptionHandler but make the handler I described as an example
> in the docs, with a link to download exception.html. I'll strike a
> balance between using python and javascript so as to save myself some
> effort, people can modify either at their discretion that way. That
> way anyone can easily use that as a base (or as-is) for their handler
> if they like.

Another thing that may be looked at in relation to this area is the
Apache API
for registering custom response handlers for error response codes.

   http://www.kuzbass.ru/docs/apache_c_mod_perl/142.htm

It may be of use to be able to register such handlers from within a
mod_python
handler rather than relying on ErrorDocument directive.

Graham