qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I'm using Qpid JMS 0.55.0 AMQP Java client and I'd like to compress the messages I'm sending
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2020 09:21:13 GMT
That link is for the older AMQP 0-x based client, which is a
completely separate client, hence its quite distinct documentation /
version / factory etc. To my knowledge that client functionality only
works with Qpid Broker-J (if enabled there also) for some of the
reasons Tim covered, and so would be of no assistance in this case
given your use of Artemis anyway. Not that the two can talk to each
other either, given Artemis supports AMQP 1.0 only.

As Tim said, the AMQP 1.0 JMS client does not support any form of
compression (neither does Artemis for AMQP 1.0 clients). There are no
immediate plans to make it do so. If you want to compress the message
content you will need to do so in your application or framework.

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 at 08:54, KOELMAN Herbert
<herbert.koelman@soprasteria.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for taking a look at my question.
>
> I found the compression related info here https://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-jms-amqp-0-x-6.4.0/jms-amqp-0-8-book/JMS-Client-0-8-Client-Understanding-Connection.html
>
> Even if I can understand your concern about compressing and making sure that every client
can use it, it still is common practice and helps to get the best out your MOM.

> I believe that compression is especially important today where everybody is sending JSON
or XML text messages.  Because of that, messages have become huge and compressing them is
a huge performance boost.

> Regards
>
> :-)

I'm sending

> On 12/1/20 2:37 PM, KOELMAN Herbert wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to compress the messages I'm sending to ARTEMIS 2.15.0. The messages are
roughly speaking 9MB big and are sent using a JMS TextMessage instance.

> > To do so I have created an instance of
> > org.apache.qpid.jms.JmsConnectionFactory using this URL
> > amqp://localhost:5672?messageCompressionThresholdSize=5000&compressMes
> > sages=true
> >
> > JmsConnectionFactory qpidFactory = new
> > JmsConnectionFactory("amqp://localhost:5672?messageCompressionThreshol
> > dSize=5000&compressMessages=true");
> >
> > When I'm producing messages using this factory, the messages are not compressed.
> >
> > Where did I go wrong ?
> >
> > Cordialement
> >
> > Herbert
> >
> > Design and programming are human activities; forget that and all is lost.
> >
> > Bjarne Stroustrup
> >

> The Qpid JMS client does not support any sort of message compression so I'm guessing
you got those URI options from some Artemis Core (JMS) client documentation which explains
why they don't produce any compressed output by the client.

> Performing message compression from within a client is often bound to cause issues due
to the need for every intermediary within the transmission chain that might need to touch
the message to understand what kind of compression is used if any and how to decompress and
then compress again depending on transformations etc.  Issues can arise for instance when
crossing between the various protocol clients that might be consuming messages from the Artemis
broker.

> The best strategy here might be for you to use a BytesMessage as your means of sending
they bytes that you compress yourself so that you can control the decompression on the receiving
ends as needed.