qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [External] Re: qpid::messaging::Sender::send() sometimes takes much longer than expected (in C++)
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2020 21:55:04 GMT
On 09/12/2020 18:36, Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 09/12/2020 19:16, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> On 09/12/2020 13:35, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>> My question is simply, what might cause the send to take several
>>> seconds? I can't see any reason why the communication itself should
>>> be that slow; the software runs on a machine that's connected to the
>>> same network switch as the broker. The systems do have a certain
>>> load, but I didn't think it would be able to cause anything like
>>> this. And shouldn't threading etc. make sure something gets done
>>> within a reasonable time in any case? What am I missing?
>>
>> One possibility might be lack of capacity (e.g. if the previous 100
>> messages have not yet been acknowledged).
>
> Maybe. But I still don't get why it would take as long as 6 or 7 seconds.
>
> I have a test app that sends messages through a sender with 0 capacity,
> with a certain delay between transfers, and send() then generally takes
> less than 1 ms.

Does that test app publish to the same queue(s)? Does the queue depth on
the queue(s) that the slow sends occur on ever get large? (Is there some
limit set on the queue depth?)

The only other thing I can think of that would cause the invocation of
send() to take a long time would be some sort of locking issue. Are the
multiple threads possibly sending concurrently?

How long does the slow sending usually last?