qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Feature Removal from Dispatch Router
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2018 16:10:19 GMT
On 17/04/18 14:24, Ken Giusti wrote:
> After thinking about the comments on this thread and
> spending some time researching various "reliable multicast" solutions
> I've come to the conclusion that we *should* allow multicasting
> unsettled messages by having the ingress router provide the settlement.
>
> So I vote for Ted's proposal to back out the feature.

I certainly don't think the router should be trying to implement
reliable multicast.

The original goal for the feature in question, as described in Ted's
post, was to /inform users/ that a naive assumption about settlement was
not accurate (and could not be accurate).

I think Ted is right that the feature did not reach that goal. It is not
sufficiently clear what is going on and on balance doesn't I think
justify the potential annoyance.

However I do think that some other solution to the problem of informing
users would be worthwhile. This could be a warning in the log the first
time a link sends an unsettled message to a multicast address (along
with a section in the doc that clarifies the way things work).

(As a separate issue, I do also think that the way in which multicast
messages are dropped when necessary could be improved upon, e.g. looking
at ttl, priority, settled state etc when decide what to drop).