qpid-users mailing list archives

From Keith W <keith.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Broker-J statistics
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2018 10:55:34 GMT
Hi Olivier V

Broker-J did expose a resetStatistics method  at the Broker and
VirtualHost level, but this for historical reasons,  these only ever
reset  a subset of statistics exposed by the Broker.  The newer
cumulative statistics were never included - which was always a bug.

The problem was that in order to reset all counters to zero
atomically, you would need to lock. This wasn't acceptable from a
performance perspective for what is an orthogonal concern.  Without
locking, you'd always risk your accounting being out.  One of the
use-cases for the statistics is demonstrating that the Broker has not
lost a message, something that could not be achieved if the tallies
weren't consistent.  The methods were removed by QPID-7799.

Keith.

On 2 February 2018 at 08:27, VERMEULEN Olivier
<Olivier.VERMEULEN@murex.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Indeed it would work but ideally I'd like to be stateless thus the reset of the statistics
on the broker side.
> Or even better could these metrics be published directly by the broker ReST API?
>
> Olivier V

per queues / exchange is calculated with a diff between total messages every sec.
> This is done in the Js
>
> I guess that should answer your need
>

> Olivier.
>
> On Thu 1 Feb 2018 at 11:34, Olivier VERMEULEN <overmeulen85@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are currently implementing a messaging cluster with
>> dispatch-routers and Java brokers.
>> To be able to use it in production we are required to provide a few
>> statistics.
>> I see that I can use the broker ReST API to query some statistics on
>> the queues, exchanges,...
>> One of the statistics we are asked to provide is a the throughput of
>> messages and the throughput of data going in and out of a queue.
>> The ReST API gives me the total number of messages and total size of
>> data going in and out of the queue. But to be able to calculate a
>> throughput I need a way to reset those statistics.
>> I read something about that for Broker-J 6.1.X but didn't find any
>> reference to it for version 7. Is it expected? Is this use case
>> supported and if yes how?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Olivier

> This e-mail contains information for the intended recipient only. It may contain proprietary
material or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised
to distribute, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment to it. Murex cannot guarantee that
it is virus free and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from its use.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify immediately the sender and delete
the original email received, any attachments and all copies from your system.