qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Revisiting Qpid Proton / Erlang
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2017 19:48:14 GMT
On 21 June 2017 at 21:40, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 21/06/17 20:37, Gordon Sim wrote:
>
>> On 21/06/17 19:50, Rick van Rein wrote:
>>
>>> I have been exploring options of using AMQP in connection with various
>>> languages.  I strongly prefer 1.0 because it can allow cross-domain
>>> messaging, so users could push MIME-typed content after passing
>>> authentication & authorisation.
>>>
>>> Proton C seems to hold good cards in terms of language support.  But to
>>> me, Erlang is a great amiss in the list.  Are people still working on
>>> its integration?
>>>
>>> This is not a pet language (I hope).  Erlang offers a platform for
>>> building rock-solid solutions, which has always had a clear niche of
>>> applications.  These rock-solid solutions are clear casses to benefit
>>> from AMQP.
>>>

>> I agree that an AMQP 1.0 library for Erlang would be very valuable. I
>> don't have any experience with that language myself. The rabbitmq team
>> appear to be working on something which would be worth a look as they
>> obviously have a lot of expertise in the area:
>>
>>   https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-amqp1.0-client
>>

> I should clarify here that I do think it would be great to have an erlang
> client in Qpid, but (a) I think that would require new contributors as
> there is already a lot of work to do and (b) joining an existing open
> source initiative might be preferable to starting something new.

I agree - it would be fantastic to see an Erlang client in Qpid, but as
Gordon says in order for it to be sustainable in Qpid it needs people here
who can contribute and maintain it.  If Rick, or others who read this, are
able to commit some of their time to it that would be fantastic.  Obviously
the Qpid community is always keen to see new contributors and would welcome
people aboard.

>From Rick's e-mail I get the impression that he feels there is insufficient
documentation in order to do the work without support from the Electron(?)
authors:

> I've had a look at how difficult making the integration would be, of
> course.  The Erlang side seems doable, given the Port concept to
> communicate with C nodes, and the ei interface for sequencing Erlang
> binary data.  On the Qpid side, the Electron approach matches well with
> the Erlang concept of many small processes (as in Go).  But I did not
> find API specifications on the Qpid side, only examples -- and that's
> insufficient to build a translation for anyone but the original
> designers...

RIck - is my understanding correct?  If so would it be possible to explain
more which areas need more documentation, or possibly just ask questions
directly on parts of the API that are unclear (to be clear here, I am
completely unfamiliar with the Electron side of things so I am totally
unable to help here).  Hopefully those more familiar with the relevant
parts of the Qpid codebase could help out here.

Cheers,
Rob