qpid-users mailing list archives

From Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>
Subject Credit handling for sending messages to multicast addresses in Dispatch
Date Sat, 20 May 2017 21:20:39 GMT
Hi,

In Dispatch, I can configure the multicast addresses:
address {
     prefix: /someAddress
     distribution: multicast
}

My general expectation for such multicast address would be that:
- The credit for sending messages is maintained by the router automatically
independently on any receivers being attached
- I can send message to such address even when there is no receiver
connected to this address.
- When there is no receiver connected the message is simply dropped by the
router
- When one or more receivers are connected, the message is sent to all of
them

However, currently it seems to behave a bit strangely:
- When I connect my producer when no receiver is connected, I get no credit
and therefore I cannot send any messages
- When I connect a receiver, broker will automatically give credit to the
sender. When I disconnect the receiver, the remaining credit is not taken
away. So I can still send messages until I run out of credit although
nobody is receiving them

Even if in case original expectations were wrong, this seems to be still a
bit inconsistent behaviour. So I'm wondering whether what is the expected
behaviour in this case and whether this is some bug. It seems to behave the
same both in 0.8.0 as well as in latest master. Can someone clarify it?

Thanks & Regards
Jakub