qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Does anyone recall a significant performance gain between qpid 0.22 and 0.24?
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2017 20:08:55 GMT
On 24/04/17 17:43, Fraser Adams wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For context I'm playing around with writing a Dockerised build system to
> build Dockerised qpid components. I've been focussing on qpid cpp and
> seem to have ironed out most of the quirks between versions.
>
> As I was trying out building some older versions I noticed that 0.22 and
> below seem to be significantly slower than 0.24 and above. 0.24 to trunk
> seem to be consistent with each other and 0.8 to 0.22 seem to be
> consistent with each, other but I'm seeing a big leap (something like an
> order of magnitude improvement) between 0.22 and 0.24.
>
> The test is a pretty simple producer/consumer using largish messages
> (50KB) using the qpid::messaging C++ API - identical test for each version.

Is it using AMQP 0-10 or 1.0? Are the messages durable (and persisted)?

> One thing I did notice was that when running top for 0.22 and below
> qpidd was only registering ~42% but for 0.24 upwards it was registering
> ~150%, but the producer and consumer clients are single threaded. At
> face value this hints at qpidd doing more blocking in 0.22 and below,
> but it'd be good to get some thoughts from people who may have better
> insight. I'm using ring queues so I don't believe it's anything to do
> with flow control behaviours.
>
> It might be something to do with the build system, but the way I build
> 0.22 and 0.24 is the same, moreover for very old versions (0.12 and
> below) I found the CMake build unreliable so I fell back to automake but
> the performance of those earlier versions is still roughly consistent
> with 0.14 to 0.22 which are built using CMake, if I was seeing different
> figures between the CMake versions and automake versions I'd be more
> suspicious it was build system related, but that big difference in CPU
> usage between 0.22 and 0.24 definitely makes me suspicious that 0.24
> onwards has had some improvements with respect to blocking behaviour.
>

> Kind of weird and a bit archaeological, but I'd be grateful for any
> thoughts.

The only things I current recall are some of the commits for the AMQP
1.0 path in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-6021, however
from what I can tell 0.24 was released before any of them were made so
unlikely to be the issue.