qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JavaScript version of Proton?
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2017 10:46:21 GMT
On 2 March 2017 at 07:56, Paul <pgbakker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Based on http://qpid.apache.org/proton/overview.html (and
> http://qpid.apache.org/proton/), I'm looking for the JavaScript
> implementation.
>
> The only think I can find are JavaScript bindings that are cross-compiled
> from the C version using Emscripten:
> https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/tree/master/proton-c/bindings/javascript
>
> That doesn't look like the 'pure-JavaScript implementation' mentioned on
> http://qpid.apache.org/proton/ and the 'At its core Proton provides three
> parallel implementations.....' mentioned on
> http://qpid.apache.org/proton/overview.html
>
> Am I completely overlooking something somewhere or?

No, you aren't missing anything, the site is in error.

I think these references are the result of folks getting a little
ahead of reality in times past and it not subsequently being spotted
and reigned back in to reflect what actually happened, which was the
binding using emscripten that you referenced. I have updated the site
to remove those mentions, thanks for pointing them out.

> I had a brief look at the JavaScript bindings history and while it does seem
> to get an occassional update, I wonder if it is up to date with the ongoing
> developments of Qpid Proton

I think it would be fair to say the JavaScript binding is not up to
date with ongoing development. In fact, from a recent mail thread I
think it may not even compile at present, and its probably overdue for
the community to have a discussion about its future as a result.

For now, if you are looking for a Javascript AMQP 1.0 implementation
you might consider one written by Gordon Sim,
https://github.com/grs/rhea, which loosely follows the style of the
Proton Container api in the Python binding which Gordon also did much
of the work on.