qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [proton-j] handling of link-credit
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2017 21:13:50 GMT
On 01/03/17 21:09, Rob Godfrey wrote:
> On 1 March 2017 at 19:28, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/03/17 18:14, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>>
>>> The link credit is an absolute value on the wire... but proton presents it
>>> in relative terms.  If you had 500 units of credit outstanding and
>>> flow(-500) and then flow(2), and you get 5 messages on the wire arriving
>>> after that point... what state is your link credit in in Proton?
>>>

>> I would expect it to be 0.
>>
>> Does it
>>> make a difference if those 5 messages had been processed by Proton (but
>>> not
>>> received by the application) before the flow(2) was sent or not?
>>>

>> Yes, if the flow(2) was issued after the 5 messages were processed, I
>> would expect the credit to be 2.
>>

> OK - so do we ever expect Proton to cry foul if the sender sends beyond any
> credit that it could reasonably be expected to have seen - or would we
> leave this up to the application to detect?

That's a good question. I ran the test to see what would happen, half
expecting proton to end the link with an error. If it does nothing at
all to enforce the credit limit (even when not revoking previously
granted credit), that is probably a concern. Would need a more involved
test to determine that.