qpid-users mailing list archives

From Kim van der Riet <kim.vdr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Interop Test Suite
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 16:39:15 GMT
On 11/28/2016 11:14 AM, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> Hi Kim,
>
> I'm the maintainer of a node.js AMQP 1.0 client
> (https://github.com/noodlefrenzy/node-amqp10) and am highly interested
> in finding a way to incorporate our client into your tests if at all
> possible. We currently run a limited set of integration tests against
> the latest released qpidd in TravisCI, however I gather this would be
> far more comprehensive.
>
> To that end, a few questions:
>
>   * is it out of scope to include an external library in these tests?
> / would you be interested in such work
>   * it seems like this is simply a matter of providing a shim similar
> to the one provided for rhea, is there anything else I might be
> missing there?
>   * I'm sure that we have gaps in our implementation in terms of full
> coverage, if the answer to the first question is (no, then yes), what
> is your timeline for a release of the test suite?
>
> Regards,
> Matt Broadstone

It is absolutely possible to add clients to the test suite, and I would
certainly encourage it! To answer your questions:

* I don't see any difficulty including an external client library to the
tests (and indeed, Rhea is technically an external lib too). I think if
we can add the right logic into the installation portion of the tests,
then it would not be an issue if someone else does not have the external
libs present (they would simply not run).  I would like to have as many
of the clients as the installer can find run by default.

* Yes, the idea would be to write a shim which can interpret the
command-line parameters sent to it and send those as AMQP messages. I
have not had a chance to look at your project yet, but I would asume
that the Rhea shims would make a good pattern for you to work from. The
tests do incorporate a way to initially skip some tests if you are not
feature-complete or there is a known bug which would cause the test to fail.

* I hope to provide a snapshot release soon (in the next few weeks once
I have received some initial feedback from the community), followed  by
a full official release of v 1.0 as the project progresses (ta-da!)

I hope that helps, please keep asking if you have further questions.
Kim