qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Proton/Dispath trace : correlate connection identifier and remote IP/port
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 12:58:48 GMT
On 23 November 2016 at 08:04, Paolo Patierno <ppatierno@live.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> enabling the Qpid Proton trace through PN_TRACE_FRM=1 when I start the Qpid Dispatch
Router, I need sometimes to know who is the remote peer is exchanging traced messages.

:

> Accepted from 127.0.0.1:48192
> Accepted from 127.0.0.1:48190
> [0x7fbc44016390]:  <- SASL
> [0x7fbc44016390]:  -> SASL
> [0x7fbc44003b70]:  <- SASL
> [0x7fbc44003b70]:  -> SASL
> [0x7fbc44016390]:0 -> @sasl-mechanisms(64) [sasl-server-mechanisms=@PN_SYMBOL[:ANONYMOUS,
:PLAIN]]
> [0x7fbc44003b70]:0 -> @sasl-mechanisms(64) [sasl-server-mechanisms=@PN_SYMBOL[:ANONYMOUS,
:PLAIN]]

> The router accepts two connections from remote clients (we see IP and port) but then
every message is related to an "identifier" (I guess it should be the file descriptor related
to the used socket).

I think the 'identifier' will actually relate to the proton transport,
e.g its address, since the engine doesnt know about the socket.

> If I need to match these information with Wireshark (where I can see remote port) I don't
know if remote clients using remote port 48192 is related to 0x7fbc44016390 or 0x7fbc44003b70.

> I think it could be a good information to add into the trace at least showing the "identifier"
after the accepted message, i.e. :

> Accepted from 127.0.0.1:48192 [0x7fbc44016390]
>

> It's also true, that messages related to something like [0x7fbc44016390] come from Qpid
Proton and messages like "Accepted ..." come from Qpid Dispatch Router.

Yep, by setting PN_TRACE_FRM it is Proton doing that logging, and it
doesnt know about the host/port/socket and is just dealing with bytes
in/out.

That said, I beleive you can set a 'tracer' used to output the
message, e.g to your own log stream, which could also allow augmenting
it with more information.