qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [NOTICE/DISCUSS] Making proton-j and proton-c more independent
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2016 19:17:38 GMT
On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 12:40 +0000, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I'd like to call this out more specifically following discussion in a
> couple of recent threads, to ensure folks are clear on things before
> they proceed. If not, shout.
>
> Following completion of the 0.16.0 release, I will look to proceed
> with making proton-j and proton-c (+bindings) more independent to
> allow them to each be released individually and more easily differ
> where appropriate in order to best serve users needs. As part of this
> I will look to:
>
> - Have infra create a separate repository for proton-j, likely "qpid-
> proton-j".
+1
> - Remove Messenger from proton-j.
+1

> On the former, I think just cloning the existing repo and trimming
> things to leave the bits of interest is probably the easiest way to
> go, with a reverse trim happening for the existing repository. Any
> other thoughts on that?
+1
> On the latter, I still need to look at the overall impact, since some
> of the python tests do use Messenger and I believe not always to test
> Messenger-specific things. If there are tests using messenger that
> are
> of obvious interest which can't quickly be replaced, then I would
> move
> the messenger impl to just being part of the tests to at the very
> least remove it from the main component until they can be replaced.

I'd be keen to ditch these tests ASAP, they are already causing trouble
in other places and it's not worth the effort to fix them in Messenger
form. If any of them are testing non-messenger features that aren't
tested elsewhere we can port them to the python container API. I
suspect (haven't checked) that the porting effort would be less than
maintaining messenger for test-only purposes.

Cheers,
Alan.