qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [Proton-c] [0.14.0] [0.15.0] Event_loop injection is very slow compared to timer schedule
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2016 17:32:00 GMT
On Wed, 2016-11-02 at 17:28 +0000, Adel Boutros wrote:
> Hello,
>

> In Proton 0.12.2, we were able to inject events from other threads to
> the messaging_handler thread by calling timer.schedule indefinitely
> and queues storing messages to send.
>

> With Proton 0.14.0, We have implemented
> proton::thread_safe::event_loop() which should replace the above
> timer.schedule.
>

> We have noticed our unit tests are 1 000 times slower with the event
> loop mechanism

Yikes! Please open a JIRA with a test program, I will look at it right
away. I am currently working on improvements to the underlying IO
driver so this is well timed. Better performance metrics is also a hot
topic right now.

> Are you aware of such performance regression? How can we analyze it?

Probably not a regression but just a foolish bit of code in the inject
path, I imagine it will be easy to find and fix with such a large
delta. I'll try to get it fixed for the next release.

Cheers,
Alan.