qpid-users mailing list archives

From Adel Boutros <Adelbout...@live.com>
Subject Re: [Dispatch router 0.6.2] Performance regression of the producers throughput
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:31:16 GMT
Hello Ted,

As there are not a lot of fixes in 0.6.2, would you like me to identify the culprit fix or
do you prefer I test directly on 0.7.0?

For your information, we are currently compiling Proton 0.14.0 so we can use the 0.7.0 but
we still need some time before our code has been adapted.

Regards,

Adel

________________________________
From: Ted Ross <tross@redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2016 7:08:36 PM
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Dispatch router 0.6.2] Performance regression of the producers throughput

Hi Adel,

It's not clear to me from looking over the commits which might have
caused the regression you have observed.

A little perspective on this question:  0.7.0 (now in RC1) is the first
release that has updates specifically targeted at increasing
performance.  During the 0.7.0 development cycle, several significant
performance issues were identified and corrected.

Any performance regression is of interest and should be mentioned.  That
said, the 0.7.0 release should exhibit considerably better performance
than the 0.6.x releases.

-Ted

On 10/04/2016 04:39 AM, Adel Boutros wrote:
> Hello,
>

> In our performance tests, we use 4 Producers (3 JMS Producers + 1 Proton-c Producer)
which all send messages synchronously to a messaging system composed of 1 Dispatcher connected
to 2 Qpid Java Brokers (6.0.4). Producers send messages to a Topic which is bound on a queue
(Binding Key + JMS selector filter: 67% of the events sent are accepted by the queue). 3 JMS
Consumers are also attached to consume messages. The queue and topic are set on both brokers
and the dispatch router advertises them correctly.

> Connection Schema
>

> Producers - - - - - |                                        |--- Broker 1
> (3 JMS + 1 C++)   |                                        |
>                               |----- Dispatch Router---|
> Consumers -  -  - |                                        |--- Broker 2
> (3 JMS)
>
> Dispatch Router has 4 connectors to each Broker.
> Dispatch Router + Brokers are on the same machines. Consumers + Producer are on the other
machine.

> We have noticed a reduced overall average throughput of the producers by 3% by simply
updating the version of the Dispatch Router from 0.6.1 to 0.6.2 (The release candidate).

> Although the regression is tolerable but we would like to have your input on the above
knowing that there are only 4 fixes between the above-mentioned releases.