qpid-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Adel Boutros <adelbout...@live.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proton 0.15.0 release?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:53:34 GMT
Hello Robbie,

You are completely right about the way we should proceed and I totally agree.
However, we cannot send into production libraries in snapshot mode because we want to compile
against stable versions(You cannot imagine how quite difficult it is to compile on Solaris).
We are currently using 0.12.2 but which we compiled with some dirty fixes.

The approach we are taking now is the following:
1) Compile 0.14.0 from scratch while providing clean fixes which would be acceptable by the
2) Once it compiles and all unit tests are green, discuss with community the proposed fixes
3) Re-apply fixes on top of master and submit them for review

Once we are at step 2), we can launch in parallel our battery of tests and adapt our code
with the new changes introduced by proton 0.14.

So my concern was mainly about step 3). This is because we know the api changed a lot between
0.12 and 0.14. We don't know if it will be the same between 0.14 and the head of the master.


On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:24 PM +0200, "Robbie Gemmell" <robbie.gemmell@gmail.com<mailto:robbie.gemmell@gmail.com>>

Hi Adel,

The things I am thinking of that made me look to using 0.15.0 were
more on the proton-j side. I don't have much experience/knowledge on
the C/C++ bits so I'd have a hard time answering with specifics on
that front, thats actually part of what my original mail was about. I
should also note that it isn't ruling out a 0.14.x release either way.

In general though I would suggest that if you have an
requirement/interest in proton on Solaris, you would likely be better
investing time on master in advance of upcoming releases than waiting
until they are otherwise ready to go, or as in the case of 0.14.0 have
been out for several weeks . There isn't much Solaris experience in
the project relative to some other environments (and test envs are
also an issue) so if you guys can contribute in that area earlier in
the process it would likely yield better results for you and everyone


On 5 October 2016 at 08:58, Adel Boutros <Adelboutros@live.com> wrote:
> Hello Robbie,
> We are currently trying to compile Proton 0.14.0 on Solaris using SunStudio compiler.
12.1 We are finding many bugs which we would like to report to the community in the form of
> However, we are not yet able to compile the code entirely.
> So I was wondering if there are a lot of fundamental incompatible changes between 0.14.0
and 0.15.0 as I am afraid what we are currently doing will be in vain in case we have to restart
everything from scratch.
> Regards,
> Adel
> ________________________________
> From: Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemmell@gmail.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:32:54 PM
> To: users@qpid.apache.org
> Subject: [DISCUSS] Proton 0.15.0 release?
> Hi folks,
> I'd like to propose doing a Proton 0.15.0 release fairly soon, say in
> the next week.
> Its been a couple of months since 0.14.0 branched. There have been
> various fixes since its release that it would be good to get out, and
> some at least don't necessarily fit a 0.14.x, so before any new
> substiantial bits come along I think now could be a good time to prep
> a 0.15.0 release. We can then aim furhter new bits for a 0.16.0 [and
> beyond if needed] before the holidays.
> Thoughts? Anything already on master that folks feel isn't ready?
> Anything folks are working on they are desperate to get out sooner
> than later, but wouldnt suit for addition later in a 0.15.x follow up?
> Robbie
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@qpid.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@qpid.apache.org

To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@qpid.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@qpid.apache.org

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message