qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Proton memory management correction
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2016 01:08:50 GMT
Some time back I wrote an incorrect article about proton memory
management and the use of pn_incref and pn_decref. The resulting leaks
are being fixed and I have removed the offending article and added a
note to clear things up:

NO-JIRA: Remove incorrect memory_management.md article.

The discussion in that article about the use of pn_incref/pn_decref was incorrect.
The article has been removed, and a comment added to proton/object.h with this
correct statement:

   pn_incref, pn_decref and pn_refcount are for internal use by the proton
   library, the should not be called by application code. Application code
   should use the appropriate pn_*_free function (pn_link_free, pn_session_free
   etc.) when it is finished with a proton value. Proton values should only be
   used when handling a pn_event_t that refers to them.