qpid-users mailing list archives

From Adel Boutros <adelbout...@live.com>
Subject RE: [Performance] Benchmarking Qpid dispatch router 0.6.0 with Qpid Java Broker 6.0.0
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 19:10:35 GMT
We are using Qpid Java Broker 6.0.1 with Berkley DB as message store. Were you using asynchronous
sending when you got 80K? Because I think with asynchronous sending, we can reach higher speeds.We
actually timestamp right before and after the call to the "send" method. If we use asynchronous
sending, the timestamping will be wrong as it doesn't account the settlement.
I will try tomorrow the multiple connectors and let you know how it goes. Do you want me to
test asynchronous sending as well?
Regards,Adel
> Subject: Re: [Performance] Benchmarking Qpid dispatch router 0.6.0 with Qpid Java Broker
6.0.0
> To: users@qpid.apache.org
> From: tross@redhat.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 14:44:22 -0400
>

> On 08/02/2016 02:10 PM, Adel Boutros wrote:
> > Hello Ted, Gordon,
> >
> > When I say the JMS producers are sending synchronously, I mean they don't set any
options to the connection URL such as jms.forceAsyncSend. So I guess this means the producer
will wait for the settlement before sending message X + 1.

> > When I say it fails, I mean that with 1 producer, I have 2500 msg/s. When I add
a second producer, I am at 4800 msg/s (Which is roughly twice the throughput of a single producer).
But when I add a 3rd producer, I am at 5100 msg/s while I except it to be around 7500 msg/s.
So for me the scaling stops working when adding a 3rd producer and above.

> Understood.
>

> > What you both explained to me about the single connection is indeed a plausible
candidate because in the tests of "broker only", the throughput of a single connection is
around 3 500 msg/s. So on a single connection, I shouldn't go above that figure which is what
I am seeing. I imagine that when I add more producers/consumers, the throughput will shrink
even more because the same connection is used by all the producers and the consumers.

> > Do you think it might be an a good idea if the connections were per workerThread
and not only a single connection?

> I think this is an interesting feature to consider, however 5.1K
> messages per second on a connection seems like a really low limit to me.
>   As I recall, we were able to get closer to 80K to 100K per connection
> on qpidd.  Which broker are you using?
>
> An interesting experiment would be to configure two connectors to the
> same broker (with different names) and configure autoLinks with
> different addresses to the two connectors.  This would show if the
> bottleneck is the router-to-broker connection.
>

> > Another solution would be to use a maximum of 3 clients (producer or consumer) per
dispatcher and have a network of interconnected dispatchers but I find it very heavy and hard
to maintain and support on the client-side. Do you agree?

> I don't think this would solve your problem anyway.
>

> > JMS Producer code
> > ConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new JmsConnectionFactory("amqp://machine:port");
> > Connection connection = connectionFactory.createConnection();
> > Session session = connection.createSession(false, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
> > Topic topic = session.createTopic("perf.topic");
> > messageProducer = session.createProducer(topic);
> > messageProducer.send(message);
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adel
> >
> >> Subject: Re: [Performance] Benchmarking Qpid dispatch router 0.6.0 with Qpid
Java Broker 6.0.0
> >> To: users@qpid.apache.org
> >> From: tross@redhat.com
> >> Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 13:42:24 -0400

100 bytes. The producers are sending in synchronous mode and with AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE.

another machine. They are both connected with a 10 Gbps ethernet connection. Nothing else
is using the machines.

to a broker scales well with 2 producersThe dispatcher connected to a broker fails when having
3 producers or more

> >> In what way does it fail?

> >> You mentioned that you are running in synchronous mode.  Does this mean
> >> that each producer is waiting for settlement on message X before sending
> >> message X+1?

to the broker? Does it open a new connection with each new producer? Or does it use some sort
of a connection pool?

> >> The router multiplexes the broker traffic over a single connection to
> >> the broker.

connection between the broker and the dispatcher?

> >> Probably not in your case since the backlogs are much smaller than the
> >> default capacity.

 undel  unsettled  deliveries  admin    oper
 0      0          0           enabled  up
 250  0      2          4994922     enabled  up
  250  0      1          1678835     enabled  up
  250  0      1          1677653     enabled  up
  250  0      0          1638434     enabled  up
 0      0          1           enabled  up
 0      0          0           enabled  up

Qpid Java Broker 6.0.0

If

is a way to "calculate an optimal value for linkCapacity". What factors can impact this field?

0.6.0 with Qpid Java Broker 6.0.0

 4 is

Router

in an architecture consisting of a Java Broker connected to a Qpid dispatch router. We also
have 3 producers and 3 consumers in the test. The producers send message to a topic which
has a binding on a queue with a filter and the consumers receives message from that queue.
architecture compared to an architecture composed of a simple Java Broker. The throughput
of the producers is down to half and there are a lot of oscillations in the presence of the
dispatcher.

prefix=perfQueue waypoint=true name=perf.queue.addr
prefix=perf.topic waypoint=true name=perf.topic.addr
role=route-container addr=localhost port=10455 name=localhost.broker.10455.connector
addr=perfQueue dir=in connection=localhost.broker.10455.connector name=localhost.broker.10455.perfQueue.in
addr=perf.topic dir=out connection=localhost.broker.10455.connector name=localhost.broker.10455.perf.topic.out