qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: heterogeneous federation (Qpid -> ActiveMQ)
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2016 12:17:42 GMT
On 25/08/16 13:07, Vince Cole wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to Qpid and to this list, please be gentle :-)
>
> Is it possible to create a federation, in which a Qpid instance is the
> source broker and an ActiveMQ instance is the destination (on a remote
> host)?
>
> Out of the box, this doesn't appear possible because ActiveMQ requires a
> connection be made using the AMQP 1.0 protocol.
>
> So far, I have managed to get the Qpid (qpidd-cpp-server-0.34, on Centos 7)
> to run in AMQP 1.0 mode:
>     qpidd --protocol amqp1.0
>
> But then my local qpid-config wouldn't connect to it, unless I enabled AMQP
> 0.10, so I am running it like this:
>     qpidd --protocol amqp1.0 --protocol amqp0-10

The --protocol option only restricts enabled protocols. It is not
required for them to be enabled in the first place.

AMQP 1.0 support is compiled as a separate library, amqp.so, and can be
loaded with --load-module /path/to/amqp.so. By default all modules in
the default module directory will be loaded, so it may already be loaded.

> Otherwise, how else can I begin to set up the federation route from Qpid?
> But, it would seem this isn't quite enough, as qpid-config doesn't seem to
> want to use AMQP 1.0...
>
> When I try:
>    qpid-config add domain some-domain-name -b remote-activemq-host-name
>
> ActiveMQ complains that a non AMQP v1.0 connection was attempted, and so
> the qpid-config command fails.
>
> Do I need to install AMQP 1.0 compatible config tools for Qpid? Are there
> any?

No. qpid-config is indeed tied (though only very loosely) to amqp 0-10
at present. However it also will only work against qpidd. In order to
establish a connection to activemq, you would need to create the domain
on qpidd. The qpidd instance will then initiate the connection when you
define incoming or outgoing links for that domain.

Depending on what you want to achieve, a better approach might also be
to use the dispatch router (also from the Qpid project), to connect the
two brokers in some way.