qpid-users mailing list archives

From Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [Performance] Benchmarking Qpid dispatch router 0.6.0 with Qpid Java Broker 6.0.0
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 18:44:22 GMT

On 08/02/2016 02:10 PM, Adel Boutros wrote:
> Hello Ted, Gordon,
>
> When I say the JMS producers are sending synchronously, I mean they don't set any options
to the connection URL such as jms.forceAsyncSend. So I guess this means the producer will
wait for the settlement before sending message X + 1.

> When I say it fails, I mean that with 1 producer, I have 2500 msg/s. When I add a second
producer, I am at 4800 msg/s (Which is roughly twice the throughput of a single producer).
But when I add a 3rd producer, I am at 5100 msg/s while I except it to be around 7500 msg/s.
So for me the scaling stops working when adding a 3rd producer and above.

Understood.

> What you both explained to me about the single connection is indeed a plausible candidate
because in the tests of "broker only", the throughput of a single connection is around 3 500
msg/s. So on a single connection, I shouldn't go above that figure which is what I am seeing.
I imagine that when I add more producers/consumers, the throughput will shrink even more because
the same connection is used by all the producers and the consumers.

> Do you think it might be an a good idea if the connections were per workerThread and
not only a single connection?

I think this is an interesting feature to consider, however 5.1K
messages per second on a connection seems like a really low limit to me.
  As I recall, we were able to get closer to 80K to 100K per connection
on qpidd.  Which broker are you using?

An interesting experiment would be to configure two connectors to the
same broker (with different names) and configure autoLinks with
different addresses to the two connectors.  This would show if the
bottleneck is the router-to-broker connection.

> Another solution would be to use a maximum of 3 clients (producer or consumer) per dispatcher
and have a network of interconnected dispatchers but I find it very heavy and hard to maintain
and support on the client-side. Do you agree?

I don't think this would solve your problem anyway.

> JMS Producer code
> ConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new JmsConnectionFactory("amqp://machine:port");
> Connection connection = connectionFactory.createConnection();
> Session session = connection.createSession(false, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
> Topic topic = session.createTopic("perf.topic");
> messageProducer = session.createProducer(topic);
> messageProducer.send(message);
>
> Regards,
> Adel
>
>> Subject: Re: [Performance] Benchmarking Qpid dispatch router 0.6.0 with Qpid Java
Broker 6.0.0
>> To: users@qpid.apache.org
>> From: tross@redhat.com
>> Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 13:42:24 -0400
>>

>> On 07/29/2016 08:40 AM, Adel Boutros wrote:
>>> Hello Ted,
>>>
>>> Increasing the link capacity had no impact. So, I have
>>>  done a series of tests to try and isolate the issue.
>>> We tested 3 different architecture without any consumers:
>>> Producer --> Broker
>>> Producer --> Dispatcher
>>> Producer --> Dispatcher --> Broker
>>> In every test, we sent 100 000 messages which contained a byte array of 100 bytes.
The producers are sending in synchronous mode and with AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE.

>>> Our benchmark machines have 20 cores and 396 Gb Ram each. We have
>>> currently put consumers/producers on 1 machine and dispatcher/brokers on another
machine. They are both connected with a 10 Gbps ethernet connection. Nothing else is using
the machines.

>>> The results are in
>>>  the table below.
>>>
>>> What I could observe:
>>> The broker alone scales well when I add producers
>>> The dispatcher alone scales well when I add producersThe dispatcher connected
to a broker scales well with 2 producersThe dispatcher connected to a broker fails when having
3 producers or more

>> In what way does it fail?

>>>  also did some "qdstat -l" while the test was running and at max had 5
>>> unsettled deliveries. So I don't think the problem comes with the
>>> linkCapacity.
>>
>> You mentioned that you are running in synchronous mode.  Does this mean
>> that each producer is waiting for settlement on message X before sending
>> message X+1?
>>

>>> What else can we look at? How does the dispatcher connect the producers to the
broker? Does it open a new connection with each new producer? Or does it use some sort of
a connection pool?

>> The router multiplexes the broker traffic over a single connection to
>> the broker.
>>

>>> Could the issue come from the capacity configuration of the link in the connection
between the broker and the dispatcher?

>> Probably not in your case since the backlogs are much smaller than the
>> default capacity.
>>

>>>   Number of Producers
>>>   Broker
>>>   Dispatcher
>>>   Combined Producer Throughput (msg/s)
>>>   Combined Producer Latency (micros)
>>>

>>>   1
>>>   YES
>>>
>>>   NO
>>>
>>>   3 500
>>>   370
>>>

>>>   4
>>>   YES
>>>   NO
>>>
>>>   9 200
>>>   420
>>>

>>>   1
>>>   NO
>>>   YES
>>>   6 000
>>>   180
>>>

>>>   2
>>>   NO
>>>   YES
>>>   12 000
>>>   192
>>>

>>>   3
>>>   NO
>>>   YES
>>>   16 000
>>>   201
>>>

>>>   1
>>>   YES
>>>   YES
>>>   2 500
>>>   360
>>>

>>>   2
>>>   YES
>>>   YES
>>>   4 800
>>>   400
>>>

>>>   3
>>>   YES
>>>   YES
>>>   5 200
>>>   540
>>>

>>> qdstat -l
>>> bash$ qdstat -b dell445srv:10254 -l
>>> Router Links
>>>   type      dir  conn id  id  peer  class   addr                  phs  cap  undel
 unsettled  deliveries  admin    oper
>>>   =======================================================================================================================
>>>   endpoint  in   19       46        mobile  perfQueue             1    250  0
     0          0           enabled  up
>>>   endpoint  out  19       54        mobile  perf.topic              0    250
 0      2          4994922     enabled  up
>>>   endpoint  in   27       57        mobile  perf.topic               0    250
 0      1          1678835     enabled  up
>>>   endpoint  in   28       58        mobile  perf.topic               0    250
 0      1          1677653     enabled  up
>>>   endpoint  in   29       59        mobile  perf.topic               0    250
 0      0          1638434     enabled  up
>>>   endpoint  in   47       94        mobile  $management           0    250  0
     0          1           enabled  up
>>>   endpoint  out 47      95        local   temp.2u+DSi+26jT3hvZ       250  0
    0          0           enabled  up

>>> Regards,
>>> Adel

Java Broker 6.0.0

is a way to "calculate an optimal value for linkCapacity". What factors can impact this field?

 4 is

an architecture consisting of a Java Broker connected to a Qpid dispatch router. We also have
3 producers and 3 consumers in the test. The producers send message to a topic which has a
binding on a queue with a filter and the consumers receives message from that queue.
compared to an architecture composed of a simple Java Broker. The throughput of the producers
is down to half and there are a lot of oscillations in the presence of the dispatcher.

waypoint=true name=perf.queue.addr
waypoint=true name=perf.topic.addr
addr=localhost port=10455 name=localhost.broker.10455.connector
dir=in connection=localhost.broker.10455.connector name=localhost.broker.10455.perfQueue.in
dir=out connection=localhost.broker.10455.connector name=localhost.broker.10455.perf.topic.out