qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: qpid proton integration with other event loops (i.e QT and ACE)
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:24:48 GMT
On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 09:42 -0700, Tobias Duckworth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am also new to qpid-proton and needed to achieve a similar thing to
> you.
>
> I found the most recent releases 0.14 snapshot and 0.13.0 weren't
> very easy
> to interface with for the purposes you describe.
>
> I ended up using 0.12.2, which has a socket_engine
> (proton-c/bindings/cpp/include/proton/io.hpp).
> With this you can either get the socket engine to connect to your
> URL, or
> you can just provide the socket descriptor as a constructor
> parameter.
> Then you can 'drive' the engine either by calling the run() function
> on a
> thread (which isn't very useful for integrating into your own io
> framework),
> or by implementing the proton::handler interface in such a way that
> it is
> executed on the thread you wish to do the work on.
>
> It all works very nicely once you get it right, apart from I can't
> get any
> of the security layers to work at present, so no ssl or sasl yet.

Yep, to be done. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-1255
I'll raise the priority of that.

Re. socket_engine it is gone in latest release and there were some
small connection_engine changes (there should be no more now) Please
shout on list or direct to me if you have trouble getting back on track
with the modified connection_engine or if you think we need to bring
back something like the socket_engine to make it easier to use.

I took out socket_engine because it worked well for poll/select/epoll
sytle integrations but not for proactor/async-IO frameworks like
windows IOCP or libuv. The epoll example now uses the connection_engine
directly. I'm open to adding more examples or putting back some form of
convenience wrapper if that's too complex.