qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Flores, Paul A." <PAUL.A.FLO...@SAIC.COM>
Subject RE: Anyone have an example of using message setProperty()?
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:34:04 GMT
To Tim's question...

Context and scenario.

Project is to utilize QPID to replace a rather interesting yet heavy handed CORBA approach
to messaging.  A prime example of using a sledgehammer to drive a thumb tack but at the time
of original development a good approach (not the best but good). The client, who had a lot
of time on their hands, developed their own types and one in particular which they use for
formatting messages.

The current approach is to 'wrap' the existing message format into the QPID message content
which is, at this point, is working well.  One of the current 'activities' is to add additional
properties to the QPID message to 'promote' specific message content fields from the 'interior'
/ 'embedded' message to the 'wrapper'.

Take the case where we 'emulate' synchronous message processing.  At a conceptual level this
is simply a requester 'sending' out a request and then 'waiting' for a response.  At the same
conceptual level a responder 'receives' the requests and 'responds'.  At an implementation
level there are three distinct message types being processed; 'informational', asynchronous
requests and synchronous requests.  At this point in time the two request message types share
a very basic characteristics and that is that an address is present in a specific message
property field that the responder is 'implicitly' asked to send a response too.

Case can be made that the only difference between asynchronous and synchronous message processing
is in the 'behavior' of the requester; in the synchronous instance the requester 'waits' for
a response while in the asynchronous instance the requester continues processing and handles
the responder from any additional processing. All seems well at this point.

In this case, though, there are existing ABC (audit, balance and control) requirements to
'account' for message received in each of the three 'categories'.  One of the audit areas
is to insure that each request is matched to it response to be able to measure processing
'responsiveness' to their service level agreements (SLA's).  The task at hand is to identify
and demonstrate the use of message 'processing type' indicators as part of the 'exterior'
QPID message 'wrapper'.

It is not as trivial as it may sound /seem.  There are touch points that clients reach for
to provide them with that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling and this one of them.  They are 'letting
go' of CORBA and look for assurance at each and every opportunity to assure themselves that
the processing approach will still support their existing operational needs.

Paul