qpid-users mailing list archives

From Adel Boutros <adelbout...@live.com>
Subject Re: [Qpid-dispatch] timespec not defined on Windows
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2016 08:04:39 GMT
Hello,

*@Chuck,*
I took a look at Qpid C++ broker model but the main issue is it is C++
oriented whereas the dispatcher is mainly C. I tried to switch the compiler
of Visual studio to C++ and got a lot of errors. So I prefer to stay on a
full C approach for the time being to gain time.

*@Alan,*
I am actually in the phase of discovering what are the issues to make the
dispatcher compile and run on Windows. So I haven't really focused on
finding the best alternatives.
Nevertheless, I took a quick look at the libuv and its implementation and I
find it very similar to what I was going to code on Windows. So it is worth
checking. My other alternative was to use an adapted in-house code.

Regarding the approach for Proton and dispatcher, we have to test it on the
different OSes to make sure it is compatible (My biggest doubt is always
Solaris although they say they support it). In my work environment, we will
have to make sure Proton compiles with Visual Studio 2008 on Windows, gcc3.4
on Linux and Sunstudio 12.1 on Solaris. As for the dispatcher, there are no
problems in using more updated versions of the compilers and gcc for
Solaris.

Unfortunately, I will be on vacation starting this afternoon and I will be
back on the 9th of May. On my return, I will try to introduce libuv in the
code and test it if no one would have done it by then. I will ask ask my
colleagues if they can check.

*Summary of issues faced on Windows*
1) CMakeLists
    a) dl_lib, rt_lib pthread_lib not available on Windows (CMakeLists.txt)
    b) install needs ARCHIVE and RUNTIME properties (src/CMakeLists.txt)
2) getopt.h not available on Windows
3) iovec not available on Windows
4) __thread not available on Windows
5) inline not available on Windows
6) SIGHUP, SIGQUIT not available on Windows
7) Starting a process with a provided user/privileges
8) Limited support of C99 for Visual Studio 2013
    a) arrays cannot have length defined in a variable (int len = 3; int
char[len]; doesn't work)
9) unistd.h not available on Windows
10) timespec not available on Windows
11) pipe, fork not available on Windows

I have a workaround/fix for most of these issues though

Regards,
Adel Boutros
www.murex.com