qpid-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proton C++ API update
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2016 20:13:59 GMT
On Fri, 2016-04-15 at 19:29 +0200, Alexandre Trufanow wrote:
> The changes look good overall, removing the event class makes the
> handler's
> API much cleaner IMO.
> I found the on_unhandled callback very useful for testing/debugging,
> when I
> didn't know what event to expect for my unit tests. Do you think
> there
> could be another way of setting a catchall for events?

We considered this when deciding to remove on_unhandled - the problem
is that after removing event there was no way to make on_unhandled at
all useful.

So we'd need some other way to handle this, a possibility would be to
add logging to the empty default handlers, which logs that the specific
handler hasn't been called but not overridden. As the C++ library has
no logging infrastructure at the moment, we'd have to add this first.

Note though that in many applications you will expect to call empty
handlers a lot, so that logging every unhandled event might be
overkill.

I agree with Justin that it will be very useful to log the events at
source in any case.

Andrew