qpid-users mailing list archives

From Matt Broadstone <mbroa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: spurious ABRT in qpidd
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:18:17 GMT
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/11/2016 05:37 PM, Matt Broadstone wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble tracking down the root cause of a thrown SIGABRT in
>> qpidd, and was wondering for some advice from the list.  Specifically, it
>> seems to be after a period of little to no activity, a large burst of
>> traffic hits the broker and the only information we're seeing in the logs
>> is:
>>
>> Jan 11 15:58:33 test-box kernel: [  652.903997] init: qpidd main process
>> (2239) killed by ABRT signal
>> Jan 11 15:58:33 test-box kernel: [  652.911661] init: qpidd main process
>> ended, respawning
>>
>> We're running ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) on this machine, with the packages off
>> the official qpid PPA. I tried running the services with trace logging
>> enabled to no avail (there were no strange packets, and no error messages
>> about bad assertions). Attaching gdb to the process also resulted in no
>> relevant information, so I'm running out of ideas of what to try next.
>> AFAICT the only `abort()` present in the codebase is in the assertion
>> code,
>> which would print something about around the assertion failure.
>>
>> Any thoughts on what I might try to help resolve this issue?
>>

> Could it be a memory issue? I.e. the qpidd processes exceeding some memory
> limit and being killed by the oom killer?

I thought so at first too, but I believe we would see a kernel message
related to that if that were the case, not to mention that the server had
something like 120GB of free RAM at the time as well. I'm quite willing to
test that theory more thoroughly if you have a recommended means of doing
so?

Matt