qpid-users mailing list archives

From Fraser Adams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Can Proton replace qpid-qmf, qpid-python, qpid-tools?
Date Sat, 23 Jan 2016 09:49:17 GMT
Hi Hamza,
Actually I did exactly that (QMF using proton) as a demo for the proton
JavaScript binding so that should give you a few pointers. Take a look at:

proton/examples/javascript/messenger/qpid-config.js

Which is a pretty complete port of qpid-config written in pure
JavaScript using proton.

A few caveats.

1. the JavaScript binding uses a WebSocket transport so to talk to the
C++ broker I used a WebSocket to TCP socket proxy - that is probably no
odds to you as you want to use python, so what I've done is mainly
likely to be just a crib for what you want to do.

2. It uses the messenger API, the current feeling tends to be that the
reactor API is the way to go, unfortunately that's not something I'm
familiar with and I've been a bit distracted on other things so haven't
had time to look at that for JavaScript yet. Porting what I've done to
python's messenger API should work OK though it's just a question if
whether you want to use an API that isn't getting so much attention.

3. JavaScript is fundamentally asynchronous so I've had to put code in
place to correlate the QMF requests and responses, as it happens that
complication was one of the main reason I wanted to put together a demo.
With python messenger I *think* you could simplify things with
synchronous requests and responses.

4. I'm not overly familiar with python, but I did liberally crib the
python messenger binding for the JavaScript one, so I believe that you
just might get a fair bit of mileage if you look at qpid-config.js as a
starting point.

HTH,
Frase