qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: C++ Broker Federation
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 12:36:43 GMT
On 01/07/2016 07:58 AM, acartcat wrote:
> I'm using C++ 0.34
> C1 -> B1 -> B2 -> B3 -> C2
>
> C1 is a simple proton sender. B1 has a route to B2 (pulled from B2), B2 has
> a route to B3 (pushed from B2).  C2 is a Java JMS receiver.
> This all works fine but I have a question regarding the behaviour when B2
> drops it's network connection.
>  From my experiments it would seem that if B2 is disconnected for less than 2
> heartbeats then messages sent by C1 are pulled by B2 and pushed to B3 and
> picked up by C2.  If the disconnect is longer then B2 drops any links and
> when the network is back will re-establish the links but will not pull the
> messages from B1 such that they never get to C2.  B1 and B2 are on the same
> net, B3 is off in the cloud.
>
> Is this how it should behave? Are there any options to support message
> propagation in the case B2 is disconnected for longer periods? I have set
> message TTL to 10 mins but no change.

You can set up routes (i.e. inter-broker subscriptions) from queues
specifying a non-zero --ack value. When the connection between the
brokers is down the messages will be held in the queue on the source
broker.

Obviously if this situation persists, the queue starts to back up. You
can of course set size limits on the queue as well if needed.

When routes are created from exchanges, a temporary queue is bound to
the source exchange and this queue is tied to the life of the active
connection between the brokers. So when that connection fails, the queue
is deleted and any messages published while the connection is down are
not sent to the destination broker.