qpid-users mailing list archives

From Morgan Lindqvist <morgan.lindqv...@ericsson.com>
Subject [AMQP 1.0] Basic question on loadsharing due to high volume
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 15:34:16 GMT
Hi All,

I have a little problem understanding how load sharing is supported with
AMQP. Up till now that has not been an issue for me but now I will start
hitting the capacity on the HW where the server is running.

I have a number of producer and a number of consumers. The AMQP server in
the middle now have such a high load that it does not cope processing more
requests. What I would like to do is to solve this on the AMQP server side
without affecting the clients. I do however not understand how this can be
done.

The description on
http://qpid.apache.org/releases/qpid-cpp-0.34/cpp-broker/book/chap-Messaging_User_Guide-Broker_Federation.html
talk about using Federation for load balancing. My understanding is that all
the producers still talk to one AMQP instance that then forward the requests
to "slave" servers. When you hit the capacity of this one single instance
how does one scale the system even more?

When the load is shared between multiple slave AMQP servers, are then all
the consumers required to connect to each of these slave servers to fetch
the messages? So if the load is increased and I need to add another AMQP
slave server all the consumers need to be re-configured to also fetch
messages from this one?

Is there an other way that is better for scaling a system when one have a
lot of data?

Best Regards,
Morgan