qpid-users mailing list archives

From Noel OConnor <noel.ocon...@gmail.com>
Subject Waypoints and phases in Dispatch Router
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2015 10:51:50 GMT
Hi,
I've struggling with understanding the context of phases in waypoints and
how you would use them.
Are phases an AMQP or dispatch routes concept ?

I've taken a look at the code and found the following

 >>* A waypoint sends/receives messages to/from an external entity such as a
 >>* broker as part of a multi-phase address.

Is a multi-phase address something line a/b/c/d ?

 >>* An address can have multiple phases. Each phase acts like a separate
address,
 >>* but sharing the same address string.

 >>* Phases are not visible to normal senders/receivers, they are set by
 >>* waypoints. Messages from normal senders go to the phase=0 address.
Normal
 >>* subscribers subscribe to the highest phase defined for the address.

 >>* A waypoint takes messages for its in-phase and sends them to the
external
 >>* entity. Messages received from the external entity are given the
waypoint's
 >>* out-phase. Waypoints can be "chained" with the out-phase of one equal
to the
 >>* in-phase for the next. Thus waypoints provide a way to route messages
via
 >>* multiple external entities between a sender and a subscriber using the
same
 >>* address.

An example of the above would be great ?
Are waypoints a kind of orchestration scheme i.e. routing from one broker
to another ?

thanks for your help
Noel