qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robbie Gemmell <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proton 0.11 alpha
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2015 10:39:12 GMT
On 5 October 2015 at 21:34, Justin Ross <justin.ross@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, folks.  I propose to start work on another Proton release soon.
>
> In order to work out any dist issues (and to get myself familiar with the
> process), I'm going to produce an alpha at the end of next week.
>
> If things go well, I'll produce a beta a week later, and our first RC a
> week after that, near the end of October.

Sounds good to me.

I'd like to encourage folks to more fully test the alpha and beta if
they are going to exist, and so would suggest that the first RC
proceeds immediately to vote and we are more agressive in rejecting
further respins, instead doing more point releases and picking up such
fixes as appropriate.

I had fully intended/expected to do a 0.10.1 before now, but didn't
get to it due to unexpected non-code issues of late diverting my
attention. It may be past the time if 0.11 is due this soon and
largely has new components (e.g C++ binding) in it?

> I'm also thinking of introducing a time-based release cadence to Proton,
> with new releases falling in October, January, April, and July.

I'm all for ensuring we do more releases which this would do, so that
would be good. I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the time-based cadance
on its own though, perhaps the ideal for me would be a similar maximum
bounding time on more features-based releases, plus point releases
with fixes as appropriate.

To quote myself from a semi related thread some months ago:

"I think we tend to be guilty of putting everything in together,
resulting in a big release that can then drag on a bit, making it more
difficult to respond quickly if the need arises, which in turn makes
us want to complete the cycle by including yet more stuff into the
release just to avoid it having to wait around for a while until the
following release happens."