qpid-users mailing list archives

From aconway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Go on windows: Visual Studio, gcc, cgo Oh My!
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2015 22:09:25 GMT
I have spent a fruitless day trying to get the go binding to work on
windows. Here's the scoop.

cgo (the Go/C integration) requires gcc to work on windows.
gcc will not link with libraries produced by Visual Studio C++
compiler.
most proton users will be using the Visual Studio compiler.

So I think the only way to make it work on windows is to build a proton
library with gcc specially for the go binding. This needs to be kept
separate from any VS generated proton libraries installed on the same
host. As I understand it, the "idiomatic" strategy for doing this on
windows is to install them in different, randomly-named directories.
Indeed as I understand it "install" on windows means "copy to a
randomly named directory" so I guess this is not a big deal.

I'd love to hear better solutions from developers who are less windows
-hostile :)

Cheers,
Alan.