qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Query the maximum message size: proton c++ client
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:07:14 GMT
On 09/14/2015 01:28 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Before generating an expensive message and placing it on the queue, I would like to know
whether this message will fit onto that queue before going to the trouble.

> Is there an API call in proton with amqp 1.0  where you can check whether a message of
a given size will be accepted on a queue, and if not whether this is a temporary condition
(queue is full, try later) or a permanent one (queue doesn’t accept messages that big, don’t
bother retrying because it won’t ever work)?

There is no standard way of doing this with AMQP 1.0 that will work for
different brokers as yet.

Though there is no simple API call, most brokers support management via
messages sent/received to a specific address and.or via HTTP, so it is
possible to programatically get the information you are looking for.

At present any code will be broker specific though. What broker are you
using?