qpid-users mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Query the maximum message size: proton c++ client
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 09:54:15 GMT
On 15 Sep 2015, at 11:07 AM, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:

> There is no standard way of doing this with AMQP 1.0 that will work for different brokers
as yet.

> Though there is no simple API call, most brokers support management via messages sent/received
to a specific address and.or via HTTP, so it is possible to programatically get the information
you are looking for.

> At present any code will be broker specific though. What broker are you using?

I plan to use qpid, but I’m designing an AMQP solution, not a broker specific solution,
thus the problem.

What I am trying to avoid is a message-of-death: An entity generates a response that is too
big, and is rejected from the queue. I want the entity to be able to ask “dear queue, are
you willing to accept a message of X in size, because if you aren’t I’m going to fail
now before doing all the work only to have that work thrown away at the end”.

This is discretely separate from the queue is full scenario, where “wait longer” solves
the problem. What I want to avoid is the problem where the entity waits for an event (acceptance
of a too large message) that will never happen.

Regards,
Graham
—