qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: In qpidd what's the maximum number of subscriptions to a queue node
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:33:07 GMT
On 07/11/2015 05:52 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> On point b. has anyone (most likely Gordon) explored the scaling limits
> of qpidd? Obviously when Qpid started out servers tended to have
> something between one and four cores, but now of course Moore's law
> tends to be followed by increasing the number of cores, so I'm curious
> as to how qpidd scales.

There hasn't really been sufficient focus on different aspects of
scalability in general.

However in tests where a moderate number of connections (typically 10s,
rather than 100s) transferred messages at their maximum rate, did not
show significant benefit in increasing the number of worker-threads
above 8 even if there were more cores available. These tests were
focused on throughput and not on the number of connections, so I would
always advise some benchmarking of scenarios similar to those
anticipated in deployment.

> I'm thinking of things like ActiveMQ Apollo
> where as I understand it it uses hawt-dispatch (which I think is the
> Java equivalent of Apple's Grand Central Dispatch pattern) and I know
> with Proton there has been a lot of work migrating to a more reactive
> pattern, which makes me wonder if that's an acknowledgement of any
> potential scaling limits in qpidd at present? If there are known limits
> is there a roadmap to change the threading model.

I think the limits are less in the threading model, which I think is a
reasonable basis for scalable operation, and more in the locking and
memory management.