qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [NEED HELP] Qpid benchmark Issues/Questions
Date Thu, 14 May 2015 20:24:52 GMT
On Wed, 2015-05-06 at 22:38 -0700, Sivananda Reddys Thummala Abbigari
> Based on the above comments I have a questions here to both of you guys:
> "How many sessions do you normal use per connection, in production?. Also,
> if we have one sessions per connection we would be bound by number of
> TCP/IP connections to the broker at some point(OS would need to maintain
> more file handlers as the number of  connections increase)". Could you
> please suggest how many connections should I be using?. Please advice.

The number of sessions is not really significant. Sessions are cheap but
you don't get much for your money ;) They are significant if you need
multiple parallel transactions over a connection, otherwise not really.

The performance issue is connections. The connection is a point of
serialization (it's just a TCP connection after all) Even if you feed
many sessions or links concurrently from threads, the data all has to
line up to leave the process if it's on one connection.

On the broker side, the connection is the unit of concurrency so a
broker running on a multi-core host will be able to do more work in
parallel if there are more connections.

It's no different from other protocols. A httpd on a multi-core machine
can parallelize more of the work if it gets 1 request each on N
connections than if it gets N requests sequentially on 1 connection.

So if an application will have a lot of clients, a throughput or scale
benchmark should have a lot of connections (ideally from separate
clients on separate hosts on an unloaded network, but it is never
ideal ;) Stuffing all the test data down one connection will give you an
idea of througput for a single client, but will not give an accurate
idea of how the broker scales with more clients.