qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Create qpid-interop sub-project
Date Thu, 14 May 2015 19:56:52 GMT
On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 08:14 -0400, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Hi Kim,
>
> How exactly are you picturing the dependencies working here? Is this
> project going to be an assemblage of other projects, i.e. an integration
> test suite, or do you intend other projects to depend on this one and pull
> it in as part of their standard test suite?

I sent a detailed email about this - I think the trick is to install the
projects you want to test and build/run interop against them. By using
multiple install trees you can do cross-tests between different
versions.

>     proton-new <-------> proton-old
>
> I was able to do this:
>
>     proton-new <-------> dumb-mimic
>
> Where dumb-mimic is constructed by simply pumping out the same bytes
> observed from proton-old "in the wild."

Dumb-mimic is very useful for in-project testing (I did it in the
proton/tests/interop also.) I think the new interop tests are for
inter-project and inter-version testing. Problems found by interop
testing could be fed back as component regression tests using dumb-mimic
as you describe.

> I guess the upshot is that I can see how an integration framework that
> makes it easy to assemble and test live endpoints could be useful, but I
> don't think it actually buys you interop testing without a fair amount of
> manual work, i.e. you would need to stand the thing up somewhere in a CI
> system and run it constantly in a configuration that tests current versions
> against prior ones.

Single version proton-proton tests do not warrant a new test framework,
but we have a bunch of other projects and they need to talk to each
other.  A complete cross-version matrix is not feasible but just testing
all the project trunks against each other and against all the last
releases would go a long way.