qpid-users mailing list archives

From Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve Qpid Dispatch 0.4-rc2 as the final 0.4 release
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 17:47:19 GMT

On 04/09/2015 01:39 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 04/09/2015 06:28 PM, Ted Ross wrote:

>>> Not an objection, just an observation... the helloworld_blocking.py
>>> example from proton doesn't work against dispatch. It appears that the
>>> router never sends back a disposition for the message sent by the
>>> client, and since the send() is blocking until settled, it can't
>>> progress to the receive().
>>
>> This (or something similar) was discovered earlier and has been raised
>> in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-111.  Ken, Alan, and I
>> discussed this and decided to defer that fix to the 0.5 release.
>
> I think that is a separate issue (from the description). Thinking about
> it some more the issue with the blocking helloworld is that there is a
> receiver link established for the message, but that link has no credit
> yet (because the credit is issued when calling receive()). In this case
> the router seems to not issue a disposition - it doesn't release because
> there is a link interested in the message; it can't accept because it
> hasn't received an accept from the receiver since it hasn't got credit
> to send to that receiver.
>
> Now that I've spelled it out for myself, this is certainly not a big
> issue at all as the example is not something you would ever really do.
> Annoying that it doesn't work, but I think perhaps better handled by
> rethinking the example.

I think you are correct.  The issue in DISPATCH-111 is related to
link-routing which your test was probably not using.

Before you go and change the example, I'd like to look into this issue.
  I think Dispatch should be as transparent as possible to things like
this (even if they're not _good_ examples).

> +1 on 0.4 from me.

Thanks.