qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve Qpid Dispatch 0.4-rc2 as the final 0.4 release
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 17:39:30 GMT
On 04/09/2015 06:28 PM, Ted Ross wrote:

> On 04/09/2015 01:20 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
>> On 04/06/2015 06:59 PM, Ted Ross wrote:
>>> Here's the vote thread for Qpid Dispatch 0.4 (rc2) containing the fix
>>> for the build problem Alan found in rc1.
>>>
>>>      http://people.apache.org/~tross/qpid-dispatch-0.4rc2/
>>>
>>> Please vote either to approve this candidate as 0.4 or report your
>>> objections on this thread.
>>
>> Not an objection, just an observation... the helloworld_blocking.py
>> example from proton doesn't work against dispatch. It appears that the
>> router never sends back a disposition for the message sent by the
>> client, and since the send() is blocking until settled, it can't
>> progress to the receive().
>
> This (or something similar) was discovered earlier and has been raised
> in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DISPATCH-111.  Ken, Alan, and I
> discussed this and decided to defer that fix to the 0.5 release.

I think that is a separate issue (from the description). Thinking about
it some more the issue with the blocking helloworld is that there is a
receiver link established for the message, but that link has no credit
yet (because the credit is issued when calling receive()). In this case
the router seems to not issue a disposition - it doesn't release because
there is a link interested in the message; it can't accept because it
hasn't received an accept from the receiver since it hasn't got credit
to send to that receiver.

Now that I've spelled it out for myself, this is certainly not a big
issue at all as the example is not something you would ever really do.
Annoying that it doesn't work, but I think perhaps better handled by
rethinking the example.

+1 on 0.4 from me.