qpid-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Porting Qpid Proton to Arduino(like) micro-controller board/environments
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 14:33:42 GMT
On Mon, 2015-04-06 at 12:32 +0200, Guy Dillen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need Qpid Proton on some Arduino(like) micro-controller boards. Can
> someone please direct me as where to start porting the library? I already
> found on the Net examples for building/using the library on e.g. Ubuntu.
> What is the procedure for building the library for use on micro-controllers
> like Arduino?

At this point there is no "canned" procedure for building proton-c on
small environments, so you are somewhat on your own.

As far as I know the current proton-c code will fit in about 300-400k of
program space on a 32 bit processor, but requires a fair amount of
dynamic allocated memory (I haven't measured this), so if your
environment has no ability (and/or) RAM for dynamic allocation then the
current set up of proton-c will not work well.

It is definitely possible to patch proton-c to be more limited but not
require a lot of dynamically allocated memory and there are people who
have done this, but currently no one has contributed any of this work
back to the main repository.

Hope this is helpful.

Andrew