qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Aschenbrenner, Erik" <easch...@icubic.de>
Subject AW: handling old Subversion contents after migrations to Git
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 07:40:14 GMT
+1 for option 1

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Robbie Gemmell [mailto:robbie.gemmell@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 9. März 2015 17:25
An: users@qpid.apache.org
Betreff: handling old Subversion contents after migrations to Git

Hi all,

As you probably know, we migrated the Proton and new JMS client code to Git repositories last
year. As part of the process the old locations within the Subversion repo were frozen read-only
and left in place.

Some folks have been caught out by using the old stale locations, as although we have updated
our website with the new locations (and all the commits@ traffic mentions the new locations)
it isnt particularly clear from the old contents themselves that they are no longer in use
(other than by realising the last commits were a while ago).

I noticed some documentation which indicated as Chair I should be able to modify the access
rights to the old locations, allowing us to edit them and make things clearer. I checked with
infra and that is indeed the case, although they are also happy to do it for us depending
on the change (e.g move contents to an attic dir, add pointer file).

I wonder what people think we should do:
1. Add pointer files indicating the contents are no longer used and directing to the Git repos.
2. Delete the trunk dirs, add pointer files to the Git repos.
3. Move the contents to an attic area, add pointer files to the Git repos in old locations.
4. Delete the contents entirely, dont add pointers.

(The 'deleted' files will obviously remain in Subversion history)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Robbie