qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Proton API layout proposal
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:18:26 GMT
On 02/17/2015 08:49 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> I've made a few changes to the api layout proposal:
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Proton+API+layout+proposal
>
>   - Renamed proton.reactors to proton.reactor
>   - Added proton.security, to clean up the "core" space.  This would be home
> to future additions such as message encryption as well.
>   - Went with proton.extras over proton.contrib.  This was to avoid any
> appearance that we are disowning the pieces there.  Instead, they are
> simply extensions outside the core Proton functionality.
>
> Gordon also put forward the notion of proton.adapters in lieu of
> proton.extras.  I like that as well, but I think it has a narrower sense,
> and I was aiming to keep the buckets bigger and flatter.

To amplify a little, the point was that the two things currently in the
utils module are ways of adapting the reactive, non-blocking,
event-driven style to some other style (messenger is in my view a
similar sort of thing). Though it is certainly more narrow, I think its
also more helpful.

The other aspect to these is that they aren't yet considered as
fully-baked as the reactive core. I certainly don't object to them being
in an extras namespace to denote that, until we are more comfortable we
have the interfaces right. You could also however indicate that through
documentation or some 'experimental' annotation.