qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: MUST a send and receive link ALWAYS be set up for a session...
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2015 20:58:02 GMT
On 02/17/2015 07:37 PM, Tony Ercolano wrote:
> I'm having a discussion with someone.
>
> Using a proton messenger I set up to talk to a service.
> I set up with various pn calls to do sends.  I do NOTHING to set up to receive.
>
> When I go to send my data to the service proton will:
> @open
> @begin
> @attach (with handle=0 role=false source=@source(40) target=@target(41)...
> Then the service starts talking back then the client sends another
> @attach(with handle=1 role=true but no source or target field)
>
> This seems reasonable to me.  There is nothing (as far as proton is concerned) to say
about the receive path.  It just HAS to be set up because sessions are bi-directional.

> Am I understanding this correctly?  Most importantly am I interpreting the AMQP standard
correctly?

The AMQP standard certainly doesn't mandate that a link must be
established in each direction on a session.

I assume messenger is establishing the receiving link for some reason
(perhaps to receive replies?) but it is a bit odd to initiate a
receiving link with neither source nor target. Are you sure its not
being initiated by the peer?