qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: reactor/container update, and 0.9 release update
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:04:17 GMT
On 02/12/2015 02:01 AM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> For the reactive API work, first off I want to reiterate that the reactor
> work is intended to complement Gordon's work, not compete with it. What
> I've developed in C is essentially a port of the same style of reactor that
> Gordon has developed in python. The python Reactor class is the swig
> wrapped python binding for the C reactor implementation.

The work I did was focused at getting examples to demonstrate a simple
yet fully functional api. The eventloop was a necessary means to achieve
that, but wasn't itself the primary driver (which was improving the
usability and providing examples).

I now have the examples and the container they depend on working on top
of the reactor and will commit the necessary changes shortly. The
container simply provides some convenience methods for establishing
connections and links, it is not an alternative api. Similar to the
handlers it can be used if and when useful, but doesn't lock you in to
doing so for everything.

[...]
> The way the examples are structured right now might not make this entirely
> obvious. I think pulling Gordon's examples up to the top level might help
> clarify things a bit, as these are really the first ones I'd expect you'd
> want to look at, and then the reactor sub-directory would be where you'd go
> for the deeper dive into the sort of stuff I mentioned.

That is a good idea. I'll do that once I get all the changes committed.