qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rob Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Any ETA on a QPid 0.32 release
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:46:07 GMT
I strongly agree with Keith that any change to the source tree should
happen (immediately) after (branching for) the next release.  We can have
separate people managing the different components if we like, but I think
for this release we would be looking at a single release date and running
the existing release scripts.  After this release we can work out exactly
how we want to release each component separately.

In terms of numbering, I'm relatively relaxed as to whether we change now
or at the next release - I don't think the two changes have to be
coincident.

As an aside, in terms of release numbering, somewhat coincidentally this
will be (if I have calculated this correctly) the 15th release of Qpid
since graduation (the first release was 0.5, then 0.6 and thereafter we
always incremented by 0.2), so calling this release 15.1 (as the first
release after an arbitrary rebasing of the version numbers) would be fine
by me :-)

-- Rob

On 23 January 2015 at 15:54, Keith W <keith.wall@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Justin
>
> I'm in agreement with the plan to reorganise the source tree in the way you
> describe (and expect that we would want a similar change for java) but am I
> concerned about the timing of such a big change.    We should be
> reorganising trunk just *after* a release branch to give us plenty of time
> to work through the inevitable unexpected consequences properly.
>
> I am in favour of having one more qpid-wide release (and I would suggest we
> stick with our existing numbering scheme i.e. 0.32), then split the source
> tree and adopt the new numbering convention for the next -modular-
> releases.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> cheers, Keith.
>

> On 21 January 2015 at 12:35, Justin Ross <justin.ross@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Keith.
> >
> > Apart from picking an approach for version numbers, I don't think there
> is
> > anything that should prevent you from starting an independent Java
> release.
> >
> > I've put some of my thoughts regarding source-tree organization down in
> > the wiki.  Please feel free to add your own.
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Source+tree+layout+proposal
> >
> > Whatever we decide on, we don't have to do it all at once in a big bang.
> > We can incrementally move modules into a new structure.
> >
> > Justin
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 4:34 AM, Keith W <keith.wall@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Looking through this thread, it is not clear that we came to a settled
> >> position for release numbering, and when exactly we'd would move to
> >> releasing components independently.   On the java side we are getting
> to a
> >> position where a release soon would be sensible.  How best do we go
> >> forward?
> >>
> >> I'll be ready to put in some time helping plan/make the changes to the
> >> release system happen, once we agree what that direction should be.
> >>
> >> Kind regards, Keith.

> >> then
> >> next
> >> side I