qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject Re: Getting started with messenger
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:41:50 GMT
Hi Rick,

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 4:21 PM, Ringel, Rick <Rick.Ringel@g3ti.net> wrote:

> Hello qpid experts,
>

> I found your project this week, and it looks very applicable to my design
> constraints.  I’ve been working to use the messenger library (with Proton)
> version 0.80 to post messages to ActiveMQ.   I’ve started with the sample
> file, send.c, and made some progress.   My overall plan is to use the a
> successful delivery status to determine when I can delete a message from a
> stream being written to my local disk.
>

> In my use case, the link between the client and activeMQ is unreliable,
> narrow, and intermittent, which is why the proton engine is so  useful.   I
> am using the tracker delivery status to determine when activeMQ has
> accepted a message, and I am using the messenger’s window feature to
> determine when to ‘put’ another message on the queue.  My code works fine
> when the activeMQ application is running, but when I restart that service,
> messages never flow again.  Also, I never see delivery status as ‘aborted’,
> even though the window reports no outbound messages are queued up.
>

> Is there a document (or sample code) that explains how to ask the proton
> engine to reconnect, and to report, via the tracker, when outbound messages
> are aborted due to connection failures?

Unfortunately messenger doesn't yet support reconnect. As for the message
status, if I recall correctly "ABORTED" actually specifically means the
message never made it onto the wire. In the scenario you describe it's
possible the messages made it onto the wire before the connection died, but
no disposition was received. In that case the status might still be pending.

> I’ve included my main loop for your reference, but I’m more interested in
> documentation/samples than detailed instruction.  I’m still on the learning
> curve.  It just isn’t obvious how to gather error information at the
> messenger API, or what to do with it once I have it.

We're currently working towards a better set of examples and better
documentation for the API. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot I can
point you to at the moment. Are you set on using version 0.8 or do you have
the option to try out some of the new features available on trunk or in the
0.9 alpha(s)?

--Rafael