qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: What is x-amqp-to?
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2015 14:21:16 GMT
On 01/23/2015 01:53 PM, Alan Conway wrote:
> I'm trying to determine if the message header x-amqp-to has any use or
> if it's a historical leftover. Here's what I found in the 3 qpid
> projects:
>
> == proton
> == dispatch
> doc/book/release-0.1.md:        request.setProperty("x-amqp-to",
> "amqp:/_local/$management");
> doc/book/using.md:        request.setProperty("x-amqp-to",
> "amqp:/_local/$management");
> == qpid
> qpid/cpp/AMQP_1.0:for the header section, and x-amqp-to,
> x-amqp-absolute-expiry-time,
> qpid/cpp/src/qpid/messaging/amqp/EncodedMessage.cpp:
> map["x-amqp-to"] = to.str();
> qpid/cpp/src/qpid/messaging/amqp/SenderContext.cpp:const std::string
> X_AMQP_TO("x-amqp-to");
>
> I believe the dispatch documentation references are incorrect and should
> be setting the normal "to" address for the message, not the x-amqp-to
> property. I'll test that and correct if its the case.
>
> I followed the bread crumbs in the qpid code base and all I could find
> was (a lot of) code for propagating this property along the message
> encoding and transformation path and making it available in the Message
> API. I couldn't find any code that actually *uses* it.
>
> Does anyone know if I'm missing something or can we get rid of it
> entirely?

The qpid::messaging::Message class has no 'to' field. However the AMQP
1.0 specification does have such a field in the properties section. The
'x-amqp-to' label is a special key allowing the AMQP 1.0 field to be
accessed (for both incoming and outgoing messages) as a special property
(via Message::getProperty()/setProperty()).

It should not be needed outside the qpid::messaging client (but within
that it is still needed).