qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Does RH MRG End of Life have an Effect on QPID?
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2014 15:13:44 GMT
On 12/05/2014 09:25 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I don't speak for Red Hat, but I can say that Red Hat != Apache Qpid. The Apache Qpid
future is still bright with plenty of effort behind it on all the various facets (C++, Java,
proton, dispatch, etc.)

I don't speak for Red Hat in any official category either. Steve is
absolutely right that Apache Qpid is bigger than any company; that is
the beauty of the open governance at Apache.

That said, as a Red Hat employee, I am still working hard on Qpid in
different areas, as are many of my colleagues. The Apache Qpid project
is first and foremost a *community* interested in developing software to
aid and further the adoption of AMQP. Red Hat remain completely
committed to collaborating with the Qpid community to achieve that goal.

The Qpid community is also bigger than any one software component it
produces. Over time, new solutions may emerge that are better than
previous attempts, and this may divert focus of some developers. The
'federation' capabilities built in to qpidd for example informed and
inspired a better solution in the form of Dispatch Router. Work is
underway to develop a new JMS client (a collaboration between Qpid and
ActiveMQ) that will be an improvement on the existing one(s) etc.

Of course, a balance needs to be found between continuity and backwards
compatibility on the one hand, and innovative new solutions on the other.

The promise of AMQP is interoperability between different components.
With 1.0 I really hope we make that more of a reality. The support from
ActiveMQ - also an openly governed, open source project here at Apache -
is evidence of real progress there. However with more than three
distinct Apache-governed, open-sourced, AMQP compliant brokers, it may
not make sense to replicate every feature in each of them and again that
may impact the focus of particular developers.

We do need to get better at formulating and communicating roadmaps for
the Qpid community, to enable better, more effective collaboration that
stays attuned to users needs. I do believe though, as Steve says, that
the future is bright for Qpid!